Monday, April 10, 2017

Start of Design Wall

Saturday I started some machine embroidery for the first time in several months.  I had found that I was having trouble using the hoops that came with my machine so I ordered the Snap Hoops, magnetic hoops that fit my Babylock machine.  According to the advertisement these hoops are supposed to be easier than the ones that come with the machine.  However, I looked them up on the Designs in Machine Embroidery web page and the cover says they are 4X stronger than the original magnetic hoops.  Do you know what 4X stronger means?  It means that it is almost impossible to pull them apart.  And no instructions came with the hoops and no videos to show how to work with them.  I did see a video on the magazine's web page but she is demoing the original 1X strength hoops, which would be no sweat to use.  But the 4X stronger takes everything I've got to pull the two parts apart.  I have searched YouTube for videos of the 4X hoops but so far have not found one that does a real demo of how to place and unplace the two parts with ease.  I guess I will just have to work at figuring out how to make this work.

I also started a pieced block to go with the embroidery but I stitched one of the rows upside down and had to unstitch so I didn't take a picture of that.  I am stitching and embroidering all at the same time (I sit between the two machines) and it gets a little confusing.  The problem is that even with the mistake, I am having so much fun.

Meanwhile I have finished all the parts for my sweater.  This is a shot of the sleeve pinned on the armhole: it is not sewn together so it may look funny but you get the idea of how it will look once I stitch it together.  And you can see the back piece up there, too.  My plan is to clear off the dining table Tuesday, when hubby is off teaching, and begin the stitching process. 

Because this sweater is so long I am pretty sure it will take some time before it is completed.  However it is a pretty heavy sweater so I won't need it until next winter which is a long ways away.

I have been so focused on this sweater that I haven't been doing any other knitting.  I got some yarn out yesterday but since I always knit two at a time I have to also get the stuff out to rewind the yarn into two equal balls: what a pain. 

And, for some couple relief, hubby and I went to see Beauty and the Beast yesterday.  What a beautiful movie.  We saw it in 3D and we did have to laugh when something got thrown or shot at us and we both jumped.

So, now I am off to the studio to cut some fabric for two more embroidered blocks, rescue the botched block and cut up another for re-sewing into the shape I want.  Then, if I still have the strength, I will wind yarn and start a new pair of socks.  And maybe an organizing fairy will come in and straighten up the cutting table, ironing board, and one of the sewing machine tables.  That would be such a help.  😏 

I hope everyone has a great week:   Gari

Linking with Patchwork Times

2 comments:

loulee said...

Phew! It's all go in your world. If you find that fairy, tell her not to bother with my room, I got fed up waiting and did it myself. LOL

Kate said...

Love your new project and the sweater is looking great. Hope that fairy shows up soon, you could send her my way once she's done there.