Sunday, February 8, 2015

BOMs Again



 My design wall today is my ironing board and on it have been pieces of my Morning Glory BOM.  I needed three shades of pink,




 and three shades of green along with orange, which for some reason I didn't take a picture of.  And this picture shows how I hollow out the pieces of fusible so my applique doesn't feel stiff.













 Here I am cutting the design pieces out, getting ready to figure out how to put them together.  If you look closely you can see notations on the paper pieces noting the pieces location and the color and value needed for that piece.





And here we have to beginning of the completed piece.  The leaves and stem were relatively simple to put together but the flower much more complicated.  Needing to make both sides symmetrical was tedious work.











And here is what this month's block looks like.  Of course it still needs stitching down but I am pleased with my interpretation.   


I also have readied the February gingerbread block.  There will be better contrast between the big and little men when they are sewn down as the button hole stitch should outline them quite well.  I haven't chosen any other stitches.









This is my obligatory animal photo.  Our kitty is Stubby, born with only a 2" tail.  We got some stuff in boxes a couple of weeks ago and DH decided to keep the boxes until we knew for sure we were keeping what we ordered.  He put this box on our porch swing but it was in my way so I threw it on the floor of the deck.  Stubby immediately claimed it so it is still there.  She likes to slink down inside, hiding from the dogs, and then swat at them either when they pass or when they peek over the edge.
 
I will be linking with Patchwork Times and What a Hoot.  And then I am going to be reading many of the other creative blogs.  I hope you will join me.   Gari

8 comments:

Angie in SoCal said...

Gari, you have replicated one of my irises from my garden. Looks just like the one you made. It's beautiful.

Lois (AKA Onnie) said...

Love your iris. I don't feel secure enough to try ones this complicated yet. I struggled to get through Comfort and Joy, so not ready for this! Beautiful, though!

Bonnie said...

You do such a great job on your boms. Both are looking great. Smart cat to hide and then sneak attack the dogs.

Lynette said...

Stubby makes me laugh - I can picture exactly how she stalks her dogs from the box. :) Your flower work is BEAUTIFUL. I like hollowing out the fusible, too. It really makes a huge difference. I pulled out some old fused McKenna Ryan mini quilts this week, before I started doing that, and >oh, MAN!< are they stiff! It's just as well that they'll actually be framed on painter's canvas later on. . .

pollyanna said...

Beautiful iris. I like how you created the different colors, with the variegated fabrics. And Stubby. Of course Stubbs has to hide and surprise! Those dogs need to understand privacy ;)

pollyanna said...

Oh and I do love love love the gingerbread family :)

Kate said...

Love the Morning Glory block and the Gingerbread Man block is fun. H

Marle said...

Hi Gari,
your BOM are both looking great.
To hollow out the fusible piecings is a fantastic idea. I will do this, too when I'll start with the beautiful Morning Glory BOM. Just searching for the background.
Happy sewing!
Marle