Monday, February 11, 2013

Design Wall 2/11/13

Design Wall 2-11-13Today’s design wall is highlighting “the dragon”.  I have appliqued about 2/3rd’s of one side of him.  But this is going to go slow because I get really tired of wrestling with him.  So I am going to give him about 1-2 hours a week until he is complete. 
Beside the dragon are three strips of leftover pieces of Easy Street: those strips are really doubled.  My plan is to sew these into the backing for Easy Street, maybe even this week.






Easy Street centerI finally got a pretty good picture of the center of Easy Street, complete. 











ES 3 bordersAnd here it is again, with the three borders I have decided on. 











new fabricI only got the outer border fabric last Friday.  I went to look only for the border fabric, BUT, when I walked in the first thing I saw was a sign for 20% off all batiks.  I was really good and looked for the border fabric first but once it was in the cart, I was on the hunt.  I didn’t buy a lot of each fabric but I did add to my batik collection.

The browns on the left will be used for an owl BOM I plan to start this week.  The rest were just because I couldn’t not buy them.


slide sortingAnd DH has found a new job at home.  He has “thousands” of slides.  He began teaching over 45 years ago and putting on high school/college musicals and plays .  And he took slides of all of his productions until video came into being.  So for Christmas I gave him a device which allows him to upload slides into his computer.  And this week he got a slide viewer so he can sort his thousands of slides.  This is our dining room table: we may never be able to eat there again.  Sad smile

So as you can see, we are both keeping ourselves busy and having fun.  You can have fun, too, by going over to Patchwork Times to see what other quilters are up to.

17 comments:

Kate said...

The Dragon is looking good. Easy street turned out beautifully, looking forward to seeing it with the borders all attached.

Denise :) said...

Good timing on the dragon ... wasn't yesterday the Chinese New Year?! Of course, I think this is the year of the snake ... but same reptile family, right?! We gave my folks one of those contraptions ... they had TONS of slides ... that was two years ago. I think they've yet to pull it out of the box. *sigh* :)

Rhonda said...

Love the dragon and your Easy Street. But Gari, you aren't thinking clearly when it comes to the dinning table..... If hubby has it occupied then there's no need to cook as often....shhhhhhh! LOL

Sue Daurio said...

Oh look the dragon is back!! He looks wonderful!! Love easy street, the orange is wonderful!

Donna said...

Love your border choices for Easy Street. How nice that your husband has all those slides of memories. What a great gift to be able to look back on his career and see the difference he made. I still hold a special place in my heart for my speech/drama teacher in high school. Some of my favorite memories are of the productions we did.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your dragon's colours are fabulous!

Melinda said...

Your Easy Street is looking good! Glad to see the Dragon come out of hiding. I bet he is excited. Your husband will have a good time looking at all the memories.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I had to come over from Judy's to check out the dragon... wow - what a neat project! I really love your use of orange in Easy Street. A color I used to dislike and now I can't get enough of.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow - that dragon looks cool! - It also looks very hard!!!

Jill said...

Your dragon is awesome!!! But I can understand that it will be a slow project...it looks like A LOT of work. I love your border fabrics for Easy Street!

John'aLee said...

I love seeing quilts that are so different! That is gorgeous!

Candace said...

Love your dragon-what a great idea!

Dar said...

Gari, Your dragon is awesom. Your Easy Street borders surely set off the colors of your quilt. I'm still making blocks on mine! Too many other projects in the works. I am looking forward to seeing your Easy Street with all the borders added. What size did yours turn out to be? Just curious as to what most people's are.

Nina Marie said...

ohhh Gari - that dragon is going to be amazing - you gotta share this on the Off the Wall Friday sometime!

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh my! That dragon is especially fierce in all his colorful glory! Love your Easy Strret!!! And your borders will be perfect - I could eat that orange! Yummy!

Messy Karen said...

your dragon quilt is gorgeous.

Bonnie said...

Gari the dragon is still wonderful and I'm glad you have a plan to finish him. But your Easy Street is fantastic. I love how the black and white, or were yours grey and white?, recede and the vibrant colors just sing. Excellent post! Great eye candy