Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Oh, My, 2013 is going to be BUSY

I had kind of a rough start for this new year.  I have a heart condition and it decided to act up starting about 2:30 am New Year’s Eve.  This was quite distressing since we were supposed to be leaving for Jacksonville, FL at about 9.  At about 10 I finally started feeling better and by 11 I felt well enough to get going.

Gator Bowl 2012
The next morning found us at  EverBank Field ready to watch the Gator Bowl.








Kickoff
And then it was time for the kickoff.  DH and I have gone to several bowl games when Northwestern is playing and he is ever hopeful.  Confused smile

It was a really good game, both NU and Miss State played well and there were very few penalties.  And the best part:  WE WON. 


Winner up close
DH says that he has been a Wildcat for 50 years and this is the first bowl game they have won in all that time.

He got that shirt right outside of the stadium: didn’t even ask how much it was.  And he is still wearing it.







So, this afternoon I finally was home and somewhat rested and ready to sew.

029
The first thing I did was to sew the 4 segments of the Carol Doak BOM block for January.  Even though the picture is fuzzy, I think you can see how beautiful this block is.  I am continually impressed with how these blocks turn out using these batiks.  It is really hard to believe that all of the color is coming from one piece of fabric.




But the real work started with Easy Street.  Oh, my goodness!
Easy Street triangles

The first thing I did was get all my baggies of parts out and then start reading the directions for what parts I needed for what blocks. 

Here is one of 4 small triangles and 1 of 16 large triangles.  And believe me, making one of each was a big deal.








Triangles   block A

But I didn’t stop there.  In between the triangles is Block A.   Can you see that this is a lot of little pieces?  I mean A LOT OF LITTLE PIECES.




















Triangles   Blocks A & B
And then I added Block B, even more little pieces.  I love how the colors are playing with each other and can see that this is going to be a great quilt.  However, with all those pieces, it may take me all year to get this top together.  I have to make 15 more Block A’s and 8 more Block B’s, 3 more small triangles and 15 more large triangles.  So, I am thinking that I will work on this a block at a time and we’ll see how long it takes me to get it together.

While I have been writing this I have been watching the Rose Parade.  It was really hard to be away from my TV yesterday and miss this parade but knowing it was being recorded for me make it OK.  I have watched this parade ever since we first got TV (way many years ago).  I first saw it in black and white and was blown away when it came on in color.  But every year this parade astounds me for it’s beautiful color and creativity. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone.  Hope this year brings the best for each and every one of you.  Gari

7 comments:

Melinda said...

I like the colors you are using. I am almost half way with my quilt - still have lots more blocks to make and sew together.

scraphappy said...

Easy Street is BEAUTIFUL. Your colors really pop against the muted grey background. Keep at it, it is going to be a fun quilt.

Katie Z. said...

I feel like I may never get my top together either! I'm almost done with the triangles, but the stack of pieces for the blocks... Oh, my!

Kevin the Quilter said...

I am with you on the LITTLE PIECES! I had NO idea when I started this mystery there would be so much matching up to do, but, I am too far in to quit now. I have all blocks and triangles finished, just waiting to join them together now. Your colors are stunning! Hope you feel even better now!

Jan said...

Glad you are feeling better now! I'm not doing Bonnie's mystery quilt, but it looks like fun, even with all the little pieces! I like your colors.

Bunny said...

Sorry to hear you were having heart trouble and acting up. Take care of yourself. Happy New Year and I love your blocks good job.Hugs Bunny

Kate said...

Glad that your heart trouble is back under control. Love the picture of your guy in his championship shirt. Looks like his 2013 got off to a good start.