Monday, October 1, 2012

Success, Not Perfection

great cartoon
My hubby found this cartoon, which he had given me last year, and brought it into the studio while I was working on my “feathers quilt.”  We both thought this was perfect for this situation.





011
After spending part of almost every day last week learning how to quilt feathers, I finally got this one done.










weights
I know it’s hard to tell in this picture but some of my feathers look pretty good.  And some?  Well, not so much.  I don’t have a picture of the whole quilt, yet, because it was raining outside when I finished and there was no room to lay it out on the inside.








death grip
I had to take breaks frequently because I found that I was using a “death grip” on the handles.











soft touch
So then I would change to a finger tip control.  I was frequently surprised to find that my hand had gone back to the death grip.  This went on all week but did get better toward the end.










1 border left
I left the side borders unquilted.  Then I turned the quilt, fastened the now top border (with my wonderful red snappers) and let the rest of the quilt float with only the magnets to hold it tight.  When the top borders were done I turned it and finished the bottom borders.  It was so easy.  This was the first time I have used the magnets and they were great!










005
On Saturday I took the day off from this quilt and we went to the gulf.  We found a great place to sit under the pier (shade) and watched the pelicans and people.  It was a beautiful day and so calming.










008 We had a great lunch at Outback. This is chicken, artichoke, and parmesan cheese on flatbread.  Then some shopping, a “short” visit to Dunkin Donuts and back home to the puppies and cats.









025
I do have one regret.  This is the first month that I didn’t get my color challenge made, or even started.  I did make a plan for a pickle dish table runner in what looked to me like fall colors.  I cut some of the fabrics for the arks but that’s as far as I got. 









I got the fabric out for the backing on one of the Christmas quilts and will be piecing it soon and have it on the frame soon.

And, today the new Funky Chicken and Teapot  blocks come out and I’m ready for them!!

7 comments:

Sue Daurio said...

Your feathers look great. When you take it off the frame and look at it as a whole, it's amazing how they ones that "aren't perfect" seem to blend and you can't find them any longer.

Judy D in WA said...

I am so proud of you. You faced your feather fear. LOL They look great and Sue is right, they will blend in. Now do you want to do mine??? LOVE the red snappers!!!

Bonnie said...

Good for you on your feather quilting. Yes, much of it looks fabulous. Pretty soon you will be a pro at them. I, on the other hand, have opted for palm fronds for right now. Sigh. Feathers some day, of course, it helped to look at yours and think... duh, I should leave off the hooks. Why would I want to try hooked feathers right off? Light bulb is exploding in the head! The pickle dish block will be fabulous.

AnnieO said...

Your feathers look all similar in size and shape and darn consistent so I think you should give yourself a really high grade. Congrats on getting the top feathered! Looks like you had a nice Gulf break from the death grip :)

Brita said...

Congrats -- your perseverence paid off, big time! And I love the color challenge fabrics you pulled. Of course, the plate of food has me famished now.

paulette said...

Your feathers look amazing!!! I love your magnet idea...did they come with the machine and if not, where did you buy them??
P

Melinda said...

I love my magnets, much better than anything else I have tried. Your feathers look good - just keep feathering!