Thursday, July 5, 2012

Excuses, Finds, and Purchases

Well, we have been home for 4 days and I have yet to turn on a sewing machine or even pick up a needle.  First there was the unpacking and cleaning.  Then there was WW work.  And for the last two days I have been involved with a studio project that seems to not involve any creativity: I am cleaning off a set of shelves in order to install a new set. 

I have laughed when other quilters have “found” UFOs and blocks they didn’t remember they had.  Well, I’m not laughing anymore.  I have found 4 sets of blocks I didn’t remember (2 I don’t remember even making).  Additionally I found 5 self kitted.  The sad thing is that they were dated 2007 and 2008.

So, to make this post more interesting I am going to show some of the things we bought on our wonderful vacation.

05Eric's new toy

DH’s big purchase was this ‘Hop A’ Long’ Cassidy toy.  It is tin and made in the early 1940s.  It is a wind-up toy that rocks and the lasso swings around.  In our cowboy museum of a front room we have many Hoppy things but we have never seen this toy before and were all excited when we (I) found it.

012

I was really excited when I found this really cute basket.

010

Inside is a charming tea set.  The interior of the basket is made of foam covered with fabric.  Since there are no nicks or cracks I don’t believe it was ever used.

008

 

Isn’t this pretty?  I am looking forward to evening tea.

 

 

 

 

 

I have another tea basket I blogged about in March but this one is different in that it not only has the teapot but also has two cups.

015

I also got this set of glasses.  They are not old at all but since I collect owls, which are all over the house including the cowboy museum, I figured we should have owl glasses, too.  Plus the former set of glasses, I bought 25 years ago, has been growing smaller due to husband dropping.

Tomorrow DH and I are going to try to pry the older shelves out of the studio: not an easy task since I have a lot of furniture in there.  Then we have to move the new shelves into the sewing room.  The new shelves are made of solid wood and wrought iron.  I figure these two moves will take all day.  Then, if we are still able to move, I will be putting stuff away and getting ready for Design Wall Monday by trying to sew a little something.  Winking smile

2 comments:

Nicole said...

It looks as if you scored some great purchases on your trip!

Judy D in WA said...

Welcome to the I Made It And Promptly Forgot About It Club! LOL It's a happy place. :)

You found some great treasures. I love the tin toy.

Have fun with the shelf project.