Monday, December 19, 2011

A Full Design Wall, Finally

006

I can’t tell you how excited I am to finally have something new on my Design Wall.  The cats are called Crazy Cats from

syverkstan.net .  After I took this picture I made two more cats:  008

010

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They look a little funny without faces, don’t they?  I have two more to applique and then I will spend a few evenings getting their personalities on. 

This quilt it for DH as part of his Christmas.  A few weeks ago he “asked” me to make him a quilt for his bed.  I already had planned to use these cats on a quilt for him (he is the reason we have one house cat and 6 outside cats,  but I had not planned a layout.  Then one evening I came up with this.

 

EQ picture

You will have to forgive the image of the cats, drawing either by hand or computer is not my area of expertise.  But I am very pleased that the quilt pieces on the wall are looking a lot like the EQ image.

 

 

And now for some Christmas cat pictures.

008

Can you find the cat in this picture?  This is another picture of our Christmas Village that is set up on our very large mantle.  Can you see the cat?

 

010

Here is a closer picture.  Can you see how thrilled she is to be having her picture taken? 

 

 

 

 

012

And yes, here she is again.  She just laid there, staring at me while I took these pictures.  And when I was through, she put her head down and went to sleep.  I guess I didn’t make much of an impression on her.

Only 6 days until Christmas.  I have one piece to quilt and then all my gifts will be done.  DH will get his quilt in pieces but I will have it done shortly into the New Year.  This week will be quiet and peaceful, well, as soon as I finish with my three WW meetings on Monday and Tuesday.  Then we will be on “vacation” for a week.  DH has projects planned, mostly putting hundreds of slides on DVD.  And me?  I will be in the studio, creating new quilts and working on UFOs.  In fact I found one I had forgotten. 

 

014

This was a BOM from 2004.  I really got bored with the color, or lack thereof, so I added 1/4” orange borders on the blocks.  then I added darker tan blocks:

 

018

 

But even then I wasn’t content with  what I had and added embroidery.  Now, I seem to remember all of this but it didn’t become a quilt.  Well, there was a reason for that.  I then decided that I wanted this quilt top to really become a duvet cover for a down comforter.  I stopped, however, when I couldn’t decide if I should quilt the top or not.  I bought two king sized sheets to both line the top and to make the envelope.  And now that I have unearthed this top I have the same question.  Should I quilt the top of a duvet?

17 comments:

scraphappy said...

Adorable cats, the quilt really does look just like the layout.

Pat said...

Love your calico cat in the village. We had a calico once...her name was Missy! Your hubby will love that cat quilt. As for the duvet cover, I have no clue what to tell you as I have no experience using duvet covers...so don't know if quilting the top is a good idea or not.

Kathie said...

Love the cats, especially incorporating the plaids into them.

Judy D in WA said...

I love the cats and immediately thought of the Pete The Cat book my granddaughter loves so much....I may have to create a little wall hanging for her. :)
Love how the cat has made herself at home!

Bonnie said...

Yea that your design wall quilt looks like your electronic design. I don't use mine enough. Sigh. Don't know how and it is on a really small computer that makes it more difficult. Sigh.

Duvets -- if you quilt it -- are you planning on quilting it to the sheet? I hear it is hard to quilt with sheets as they are densely woven. You surely don't need the extra warmth of batting. Hey, at this point I think I might go for fastest, easiest finish! Good luck.

Merry Christmas and enjoy your studio time.

Gretchen said...

Love the photos of your kitty in the Christmas village. Too cute!! Your quilts are wonderful. I'm not sure about duvets maybe google and see what others have done?
Merry Christmas to you & yours!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think there would be less wear and tear on the piecing seams if the duvet top was quilted. If you don't care how long it lasts I wouldn't do it, but after all that work.....Thermore is a very thin polyester batting that wouldn't add bulk, is non bearding and can leave large spaces unquilted.

Melinda said...

I think I would quilt the top - I like the looks of quilts better than tops.

Denise :) said...

Love your cats ... real and pieced! The plaid one reminds me a little of a cuckoo clock!! I would quilt your top even if for a duvet. It will give it a prettier, finished look! :)

Cathy Tomm said...

The cats are looking cute already. I love some of the plaids I see in the bodies.

AnnieO said...

Fun applique cats! They do have personality already but faces will be great! I did spot the live kitty, but then, I am a cat person :) Hope you have some wonderful times in your sewing studio this holiday! I would not quilt a duvet cover because it seems to me it would make it awfully heavy in that size.

Kate said...

Love all your cats, the ones on the quilt and the sleepy one too.

Quilter Kathy said...

What cute cat photos!
I would quilt the duvet quilt top just to give it some texture and make it more interesting.

Ria said...

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a healthy, loving and happy 2012. With lots of new handicrafts inspiration.

jennifer thornton said...

Loved the cat quilt! I went to the site and printed the patterns perfect to work on this next year! Have a great holiday!
Jennifer

Rhonda said...

Yea, your kitty seems thrilled with her photo sesson. LOL I would quilt the duvet. Especially if you feel it is boring. Quilting always adds interest. : )

Queenie Believe said...

Very fun kitty quilt blocks not to mention the live fur baby amongst the Christmas houses.
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie