Monday, May 30, 2011

Design Wall 5/30/11

Today we celebrate Memorial Day. It is the time to remember all the men and women who have sacrificed to keep our nation free. Thanks to one and all for the freedoms I have. I am truly grateful.

This is what is on my wall this morning. I have the center done, 3 borders on and the 4th border is on the sides. I am hoping that this morning I will be able to get the top and bottom borders made and on and then this top will be ready to quilt. This is a throw that will be 60 x 70, just the right size for snuggling when it is either cold outside or the air conditioning is turned down too low. Anyway, I think I have enough black batting for it but won't know until I get it done and on the frame (and of course, until I make a backing for it). I got a new panto from Urban Elementz Saturday that will be just perfect and I think I am going to quilt it with purple thread.

And to make the weekend even more productive, look what I got finished.

My feathered star is now a full fledged, finished, flimsy. In my previous post I showed my "one" mistake while making the friendship stars but otherwise it went together quickly and I am really pleased. It looks a little washed out in this picture because I took the picture in full sun but once it is quilted, later this summer, you will see how really pretty it is. I am not sure how I am going to quilt it: I may be looking at other feathered stars for inspiration.

Now, before you return to either your celebrations, eating, or sewing, be sure to go over to Patchwork Times to see what other quilters have been up to.

13 comments:

free indeed said...

THat is a really nice batik quilt top...love the simplicity of the squares, yet the mosaic quality of it is so interesting.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the batik quilt. It is so rich and vibrant!

Judy D in WA said...

Ohhh, the black and batik quilt is fabulous! And the feathered star... you know i love, love, love that one!

Sue Daurio said...

wow, really love the black and batik quilt. I love quilts with deep colors and that one is wonderful!!

Amy said...

Your batik quilt is beautiful! Love the colors you selected. I am looking forward to seeing your feathered star quilted.

Kate said...

Love your black and purple quilt. It reminds me of stained glass. Love the "negative" look of your feathered star quilt!

Mary said...

Your quilt has such a dramatic look to it. I love the way it's turning out.

Kari Nitzel said...

You did a great job on both quilts!

Quilty Conscience said...

This is gorgeous! I love black quilts. I wonder why I don't do more? Hmmmm Toni

Melinda said...

Your batik quilt is stunning. Love the borders you added. Makes me want to go play with my batiks. Great job.

Melinda said...

I like both quilts - they should be fun to quilt.

Barbara said...

I really like your quilt. The colors you've chosen look great. I always like a black background. It really sets off the rest of the blocks.

McIrish Annie said...

I absolutely love the last border you put on! The change to rectangles from squares is really interesting. It's going to be a great quilt.