Monday, March 14, 2011

Design Wall Monday

And I have something on my wall.

002

I am trying to decide how I want to set my Snowbound blocks from 2010And I am seeking your input.  Here they are with the snowball blocks I am using.  But this is not the way I originally planned.

Snowbound.jpg (640x640)

Here is my original plan using sashing and cornerstones (EQ7).  My problem is that I really like what I am seeing on the DW and, of course, it would be a lot easier to put together.  What do you think?

Also on the DW, way up in the right hand corner, is the beginning of my March Journal Quilt.  I started it late last week but got sidetracked by the UFO that had been “yelling” at me to liberate it from the box it had been sitting in for at least the last 6 months (see it here).  001

You see I got all the borders appliqued and the stems didn’t meet like I thought I had planned.  But this weekend I figured out how to finish them to my satisfaction.  However I must say it is not easy to applique flowers when they are now on a queen sized quilt top.005  And here we are with the applique borders completed. 

027Next came the piano key borders.  Actually, I have them done and they now are on the top, also.  I even staystitched the outside edge so nothing will come apart while I am waiting to be able to quilt it.  I spent most of Sunday putting the backing together.  This quilt is made with 30s repro fabrics, not my favorite.  So I used all of the larger pieces that were left over so it will be a scrappy backing but will be the same fabrics that I used on the front.

But I don’t want anyone to think that I haven’t been enjoying the beautiful weather we have been having.  I have been spending part of every day outside, reading.  What a pleasure that is.  And yesterday I found this:  023

This is my first rosebud of the Spring.  Isn’t she beautiful?

Now, hop on over to Judy’s blog to check out all the quilting inspiration there.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my, a rose bud blooming? I saw some of my tulips are coming up...i still think it's a bit to early

Pat said...

I like those snow folks just the way they are scattered around amongst the big snowballs with NO sashing and cornerstones to confine them!!!

Pat said...

Oh, yes......I have a daffodil that opened (as well as my early crocus, of course) and my camellias might bloom this week. YAY!!! Winter is finally moving out of here.

Mary said...

I also like the setting on your design wall. It reminds me of a snowy field.

Vicki H. said...

Love the quilt as is on the design wall. The queen sized quilt is lovely and you are going to have a really spectacular quilt on your hands.

Chris said...

I love the layout of the snowmen. You could quilt snowflakes in the snowball blocks with a blue thread....

Judy D in WA said...

Ohhh, a rose bud! I have not clue what to do with the snowball blocks but I like the idea of snowflakes.
I have a quilt waiting for applique borders-the fabric is on the way here-hadn't thought about the size of the top for machine applique. Hmm. Love the piano key border strips.

Bonnie said...

You beat me with the rose... I've got forsythia and daffodils.

Hum, you may not want to hear this (and of course you can ignore it all you want!) But the snowball blocks over power your snowmen. I don't have any other suggestions to tell the truth. I think they are just too white right now. So, maybe a snowflake quilted in each block would work marvelously. I think the snowmen should be the focus more. (ok, I'm done throwing a spanner into it. That is a saying isn't it? Or did I just make up my own saying...?) B.

Quilter Kathy said...

I am jealous that you can go outside to read! Enjoy!
I am impressed that you have been working so hard on your UFO when you don't even like it :) I made one 30's fabric quilt and don't like it, but I just sent it out for quilting, so I'll be delighted when it's not a UFO anymore!

Marti said...

I like your snowballs and snowmen scattered about as they are on your wall. No roses at my house, I can't grow them at all. I do enjoy seeing them in other yards though.

kwiltnkats said...

I too think the large snowballs are overpowering the really cute snowmen. There needs to be more color either on them or around them. Using a varigated thread with a flake like pattern might be a good choice in the snowball blocks or even a silver shinny metalic thread that could provide a sparkle. You could try a diagonal stripe like a candy cane as a sashing. Or how about scaling down the size of at least a third of the large snowballs to two or three in the same size block as the larger design. I think the scale is the challenge. I'm with you on the 30s fabrics--the quilt is lovely though with all your beautiful applique. Ahh roses! Sandi

Kari Nitzel said...

Cute quilt! I think that the sashing will make the snowmen look smaller. What are you going to do inside the snowballs?
I sure wish my roses were budding, still too early here.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I agree with you, I like the one on the design wall. It is really wonderful!

glen: who is having spring already in the 70's every day now.

Anonymous said...

Love the layout on your design wall!!! So much more dynamic and interesting than sashed squares.
- Jan O in St Louis

Kate said...

I like both designs. So I don't think I'll be much help to you on that one. Great progress on your UFO!

Alexandra said...

I think both designs are beautiful. The one with sashing looks more organized, in a this is how I planned it way. The one on your DW looks more like you were having fun and look what a beautiful quilt you made. I vote for no sashing.

Carrie said...

I like the snowmen how they are on your DW. Lovin' the picture of your rosebud. Makes me anxious to see some on my rose bushes.

P.S. Can't wait to see more of the journal quilt!