Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Little Of Nothing


All day we have been expecting rain.


There is a big rain storm coming up from New Orleans and I expected it to dump on us but it has circled around us, so far. This is a good thing since our ground is still soaked from the storms we have had the last few weeks. Anyway, it has been a good day to sit and sew.

There are weeks when one works a lot but there is little to show for it and this has been one of those weeks. In order to get this baby quilt on the frame I had to sew fabrics together to make a backing and then sew pieces of batting together in order to have a full piece. Then I learned to do something I have never done. I learned how to set my serger up to do a chain stitch and stitched the backing onto the leaders. Even counting the time it took me to figure out how to change from overlock to chain on the serger, it still was quicker than pinning. I am so proud of myself.

I also decided what fabrics I would use for my next comfort quilt. It will more subdued in the middle and geared more to boys. I am doing another DNP but I can’t decide which way to make the blocks .

I will be cutting them down the center so should I cut plain squares or the stripes? I think if I cut the stripes I will turn them sidewise.


5 comments:

Pat said...

When I've done D9P's, I've used several fabrics, so if one was directional, it was all "hidden" amongst the variety of fabrics and I never had to worry about the way it was going. I'm sure you will have this looking very nice...no matter which way you decide. WE are going to get the blizzard from this storm and our area doesn't usually get that and hasn't enough equipment to handle it....very scary prediction here for us.

Twisted Quilts said...

Last weekend we got snow and ice and this weekend we are getting your rain storm. I am tired of winter. I have done several D9Ps and I usually put the solids in the squares that I cut.

Julie in the Barn said...

I've always wondered how long it takes to "mount" a quilt on one of those quilting machines compared to basting for hand or domestic machine. How long does it normally take?

Unknown said...

We have the snow now, it has just started. I'm in NC, right above that light blue on the Radar. We still have several inches on the ground. ugghh

Wilma Lee said...

I pin my backs to the leaders, but I float my tops, so that's pretty much all the pinning I have to do. Plus, I don't have a serger. I will put that on my list of things to get this year before I retire, lol.

Only rain this morning here in the mountains. I hope it stays that way.