Friday, October 17, 2008

So far this has been a great week. I spent Monday and Tuesday getting ready to go to the Bonnie Hunter workshop in Auburn, AL. I had decided I didn't want to come home to dirty dishes or dirty clothes so I did everything up. I even took my "Baby Brother" sewing machine to be cleaned. I stayed late Tuesday to attend my guild and show off Falling Leaves and then hit the road around 7 pm. I arrived in Auburn at 9:30 and Wednesday was up and ready for the workshop in plenty of time.














My friend, Maribel, was already there and had gotten us a table right up front so we could see Bonnie and be sure to understand all the instructions.





Bonnie is a great teacher. She is enthusiastic, and talks a little fast, but made everything very clear. She didn't, however, stay up front. She walks around, talks to everyone, helps with fabric selection, sewing, and general encouragement.








Here is my version of Bonnie's quilt. I bought a Moda jelly roll (didn't have any precut strips of my own) and paired it with the brown. the four blocks on the left are sewn together and the two on the right are just lying there so see how they look. I think this is going to be a very pretty fall quilt.

On Thursday night at their guild meeting Bonnie gave a trunk show and also explained how she comes by all these "strips, squares, and logs" that make up her quilts. Most of these can be seen on her web page, Quiltville.com, or in her new book, "Scraps & Shirttails."

No comments: