Sunday, October 12, 2008

Falling Leaves - done



This is Falling Leaves. It is the first quilt top I ever made. Because it was the first, and I was so proud of it, I was afraid to quilt it for fear I would ruin it. However, this week I put it on the frame and just started. I quilted the leaves by quilting, free hand, 1/4" around the leaf and then quilted in the veins. Then I stippled around them.

All of this was done with monofiliment, invisible, thread. The sashing was done with variegated thread that I have had since the top was done (2001). I used the same thread to do loops and swirls in the border, which can't be seen because of all the color already there.

I even had the backing and binding all ready, just waiting for me to get up the nerve. The quilt is 70 x 78, just right for a coverlet on these cool Fall nights.
After getting this done I was on a roll so I completed the BOM for the quilt shop in Ft. Walton Beach that I used to go to all the time when I lived down there. I go to FL at least once a month (100 miles) because I live "90 miles from anywhere" and taking my BOM is just one of my excuses.
Next project? I have two Christmas quilts (first ever) to complete. One top is done and I need to find backing for it. The other is swap blocks that I have only half designed settings for. Also, on Tuesday, after guild, I am going to Auburn and Wednesday I will be enjoying a Bonnie Hunt class with the guild there. A friend invited me and I am really looking forward to it.

No comments: